Thursday, December 15, 2011

Exploring the Umpqua Valley at Pyrenees Vineyard and Cellars - Myrtle Creek, Oregon



While visiting Southern Oregon I stayed in Grants Pass and visited three wineries further south in the Rogue Valley. On my second day I headed north to the Umpqua Valley and visited another three wineries.
 My first stop of the day was at Pyrenees Vineyard and Cellars which is located in Myrtle Creek along the South Umpqua River surrounded by 30 acres of vineyards and rolling hillside. 

Across from the tasting room is an observation deck that overlooks the river and (weather permitting) you can relax while tasting their wines. 

But since I was visiting on a cold day in December, I sampled all their wines in their cosy tasting room, just big enough for about a half dozen people.

While visiting I tasted five white wines and five red wines:

The first white wine was the 2010 Pinot Gris. Fermented in neutral oak, this wine displays wonderful aromas of white peaches, apricots and a little lemon zest. It has great minerality, is slightly creamy with a full mouth feel and yet still maintains its crispness followed by a long citrus finish. This is probably one of the best Pinot Gris I have had in a long time and at $18 a bottle I had to bring one home.

My next wine was the 2010 Sauvignon Blanc. It displays a classic Sauv Blanc profile – grapefruit, a hint of grass, a chalky minerality and a delightful acidity all of which is well balanced. This wine could be mistaken for a New Zealand so if that is the profile you prefer, this one is for you. A fair price at $20, so I brought one home.

My third wine was the 2009 Chardonnay. A full bodied Chard, I picked up a hint of butterscotch, canned pears, and crème brûlée, good acidity, well balanced with a medium length finish. A really nice Chard for $20. I have tasted many like it that sold for $30+, so I bought a bottle.

My fourth sample was the 2009 Gewürztraminer. Classic profile of lychee, white flowers and slightly sweet. Not as crisp as I’d like it to be, but not bad for $18 a bottle.

The final white wine was the 2009 Riesling. Slight band-aid/petrol on the nose followed by orange blossoms, melon and sweet apricots. Slightly creamy on the palate but it still maintains its crispness. A nice wine for $18 a bottle.

I then transitioned to the red wines, the first being the 2005 Pinot Noir. On the nose I picked up cigar box, dried cinnamon stick, red apple skins, followed a good dose pepper and gritty tannins. If I didn’t know better, I would have guessed that this was from the Santa Cruz mountains as it didn’t have earthiness I have come to expect from Oregon. Still, a nice wine for only $20 a bottle.

My second red was the 2009 Merlot. On the nose it has aromas of cherries, cola and wild berries. It is very soft on the palate and has a medium-length finish. An “okay” wine for $20 a bottle.

My third red wine was the 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine is rather soft for a Cab, on the nose it displays black currants, anise and eucalyptus on the back end. It sells for $28 and there are many like it in the $15 - $20 range on the market.

The next red was the 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine is much more expressive than the ’08, bigger on the nose and more intense. I picked up chocolate covered cherries, cassis, a hint of eucalyptus and mint. On the palate it has a creamy texture and yet maintains bright acidity and has a bit more tannin. A well balanced wine and I’d buy this one before the ’08 for only $25 a bottless.

My next two wines were very similar in profile, the 2008 Syrah ($24) and the 2009 Reserve Syrah ($35). Both of these wines had WAY too much fresh ground black pepper and I could barely pick up any fruit, though they had some blackberries and anise faintly in the back ground. So… unless you’re like super peppery Syrahs, I’d have to say “pass.”

Overall, I preferred the white wines over the red wines, which is funny because on a cold day I tend to be more in the mood for a big red wine. The winery is beautiful (even in the winter) and the service was great. If you’re in the area, I highly recommend checking this winery out!

To visit or for more information:
Pyrenees Vineyard and Cellars - South

15332 Old Highway 99 S.
Myrtle Creek, Oregon 97457
Phone: 1-541-863-7797

No comments:

Post a Comment